Discussing The Role of Your Imagination When Seeing In The Spirit
Many very famous teachers are encouraging the use of the imagination in manifestation (me included). The imagination is a powerful tool we use to create. However, many New Age, Law of Attraction scholars, meditation teachers, and even Bible scholars teach about the absolute use of the imagination and use the term, “seeing in the spirit” interchangeably. When you perceive your imagination and seeing in the spirit as the same thing, you are not grasping everything that can be seen in the spirit. Sit back, grab some popcorn, tea, or whatever else will make this discussion comfortable, and let’s dissect this issue, so that you can maximize your potential…
In the Greek, imagination is either the word phantasia or dianoia. According to the Strong’s Concordance, phantasia means, “show, display, pomp”. Also using the Strong’s Concordance, the word dianoia means, “understanding, intellect, mind”. When expounded upon further, dianoia is the ability to deeply consider multiple sides of one issue; otherwise called critical thinking. The imagination is the display of the mind where God, the flesh, and the kingdom of darkness can reveal things. Seeing in the spirit is in part about cleansing your imagination, crucifying the flesh, and submitting the eyes of your heart to the communication and transportation of God.
In Genesis 8:21, After God judged the world in the flood, He said, “And the Lord smelled a soothing aroma. Then the Lord said in His heart, “I will never again curse the ground for man’s sake, although the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.” Your imagination is influenced by your sin nature, therefore, it is not absolute. You can imagine things good and bad because Adam ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. As a result of our imaginations possessing the ability to see good and bad, we can manifest good and bad things that originate in our imaginations. For this reason, in 2 Corinthians 10:5, Paul told us that we must cast down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of God. When Mary praised God after receiving the news that she and her cousin were pregnant by God’s grace, she said, “He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.” Collectively, these passages tell us that:
- our imagination is influenced by the desires of the flesh
- our imaginations are influenced by demonic activity, curses, and birth defects
- our imaginations must be controlled and brought into the submission of the will of God
When you see in the spirit, you see beyond the realm of the things that you can comprehend, self-invoke, or imagine. Dreams, trances, or simply God opening your eyes can give you the ability to see that there are other beings that can be seen in the spiritual realm: angels, demons, Jesus, the Father, the Holy Spirit, and other spirit beings. Seeing in the spirit requires discernment because you do not want to entertain evil spirits. With seeing in the spirit, you can also tap into prophetic manifestation (which Satan often tries to counterfeit).
The beauty of prophesy is the ability to see beyond the present moment, and into glimpses of eternity. Prophesy is even better when you can see into eternity and bring it into the present moment. Satan makes people infatuated with the future. He intrigues the flesh enough to have people tempted to manipulate the future or to receive news of the future thru illegal portals. His common attacks against spiritual sight are:
- Ignorance of the kingdom of darkness in the spiritual realm (as taught by many). The teaching that negative situations or things are always self-invoked makes people focus on themselves as the sole enemy, and creates ignorance about their true spiritual opposition
- Access to future knowledge aside from God. Many people who do not have spiritual sight venture into other routes to find knowledge of the future. Satan does have access to snippets of the future. Remember, how the demons cried out that Jesus was the son of God when they were being casted out? Satan knew who he was. Satan knows things about your future and your calling, and because of his level of knowledge, he attacks heavy assignments. Astrology, palm reading, psychics, and other ways to tap into future knowledge are illegal breaches, and manipulate your future to Satan’s desired end. See 1 Kings 13 for more info on how Satan uses false prophecy and prophets that tap into future knowledge aside from yielding to God to give you his desired end (death). As you seek God, He will reveal things to you. Trust Him that He knows what is best for you to know and not to know. For this reason, Deuteronomy 29:29 says, “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.”
“Do not use your imagination without discerning spirits because you can open yourself to the manifestation of other wills (Satan, the demons, or your flesh) that lead to destruction. “
God spoke thru the Prophet Isaiah helping us put our imagination into perspective saying:
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.
“For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there,
But water the earth,
And make it bring forth and bud,
That it may give seed to the sower
And bread to the eater,
So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
There is another arena that can can be tapped into when you align your imagination to the will of God. As Apostle Guillermo Maldonado discussed in his sermon, “Faith is Now”, when you see in the spirit, then you can bring eternity into your present moment. God’s view is complete. He does not see things in the perspective that we do. Healing for our bodies is already manifested in the eternal realm. Abundance is already manifested in the eternal realm. Incomprehensible and unimaginable blessings are stored in the eternal realm. For this reason, David was awed with God saying:
“Many, O Lord my God, are Your wonderful works
Which You have done;
And Your thoughts toward us
Cannot be recounted to You in order;
If I would declare and speak of them,
They are more than can be numbered.”
In the physical, we can see the results of God’s thoughts in His creation, but when you see in the spiritual realm, you can see plans of the kingdom of darkness and plans of God that have not yet physically manifested. Your imagination can play a part into the plans of either the Kingdom of Heaven or the kingdom of darkness; depending on the state of your heart as you are creating in your mind.
1. If you desire to manifest situations or things that you do not currently have, seek God. Ensure that Jesus is the crown-holder of your heart. He must be your King before you can walk into His solutions. He is the solution to every need and the Creator of all that we see, so when you align with Him, He will grant the desires of your heart. Psalms 37:4 says, “Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.”
2. Identify whether what you are requesting is an inheritance of yours (as would be stated in the Bible). If so, identify the condition for receiving the blessing. Answer the question, “Does God say that I have to do something to receive the blessing?”
3. Examine your heart. Ask yourself, “What is the root of my request?” Is the root a godly root or a fleshly root? Align your heart with God.
4. Implement the ask, seek, and knock principle. Jesus said, ““Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.”
5. Go before God understanding the intimacy of your relationship with Him; that He has counted the hairs or your head and dearly loves you beyond your understanding. Place your request before Him with a clean heart and seek His response.